The Sudbury and District Home Builders’ Association is “the voice of the residential construction industry”—one of the most vital and enterprising industries in Canada.
Our membership includes new home builders, renovators, land developers, trade contractors, product and material manufacturers, building products suppliers and distributors and professional services, lending institutions, insurance providers, service professionals and others.
Together we are building an environment in which we are recognized for our commitment to professionalism and as leaders in the home construction and renovation industry. When you join as a member, your commitment to the Code of Ethics is a benefit to your company, the public, and other members as we do business in our city.
The issues and concerns of our membership determine the advocacy agenda for the Sudbury & District Home Builders’ Association. Our volunteers and staff are dedicated to addressing a wide range of issues at all levels of government.
SDHBA Activity Highlights
- Met with all local candidates in Sudbury and Nickel Belt ridings in advance of the Provincial Election on Oct 6, 2011.
- Work with the CHBA & OHBA to continue to increase awareness with all levels of government about the College of Trades, the underground economy, impact of HST on housing affordability, and homes built without Tarion New Home Warranty (illegal in Ontario)
- Active participation on DLAC – Development Liaison Advisory Committee. A standing committee of City Council.
- LEEP / TAP – Local Energy Efficiency Partnership, Technology Adoption Pilot. One of four HBA’s in the province chosen to participant, our member builders worked with Natural Resources Canada, consultants from EnerQuality and with member supplier / installers to learn about, and use, new and emerging products and building technologies in their homes to increase their energy efficiency.
- Lobbied for a full-day workshop on the Ontario Building Code 2012 to be held in Sudbury. Held on Sept 22, 2011 with attendance from builders, renovators and supply / installers from across north eastern Ontario.
- Regular meetings with the Mayor and members of council to discuss progress and areas of concern to our industry and quarterly meetings with the Chief Building Official and other staff from Building Services.
- Worked with organizations in the community with whom we share goals such as the Sudbury Construction Association and ReThink Green.
The Sudbury & District Home Builders’ Association is built on a vision and commitment – a vision of a strong and positive role for the housing industry, and a commitment to support the business success of our members and their ability to provide affordability, quality and choice for consumers.
Our activities are focused on three key areas:
- Achieving a stable business environment for our members. The CHBA is committed to a fair and competitive marketplace, where all members have the opportunity to operate their business profitably.
- Promoting and protecting the interests of consumers. The CHBA believes that all Canadians have the right to decent, safe and appropriate housing. We also believe that all Canadians have the right to a reasonable opportunity to own a home.
- Supporting the professionalism of our members. Skills, experience and integrity are the cornerstones of professionalism. CHBA provides members with opportunities to learn, grow and take pride in what they do. We believe that the CHBA logo is the sign of Canada’s home building professionals.