The mission of the SDHBA is: to be the voice of the residential construction industry; to achieve an environment in which our membership can operate profitably; and to promote affordability and choice in housing for all.
Fundamental Principles of the Sudbury & District Home Builders’ Association
There are two fundamental principles guiding the SDHBA:
- The right of all Canadians to decent, safe and appropriate housing; and
- The right of all Canadians to a reasonable opportunity to own their own homes.
The realization of these fundamental principles requires a partnership between government and the housing industry. While the industry actually builds housing, the Association endorses the principle of industry/government partnership. This partnership is required to achieve the above principles while improving quality, affordability and choice.
The SDHBA identified the following four fundamental components of sound housing policy:
- The government has a legitimate role in housing the needy and disadvantaged through targeted and cost-effective policies and programs;
- The government has a responsibility to provide a stable environment in which the housing industry can operate effectively;
- Market housing should not be stimulated or otherwise unduly interfered with through the actions of government; and
- There will be prior consultation between the government and industry before significant changes are made to housing policies or programs.
These fundamentals identify the legitimate roles of government and industry and form the basis for the SDHBA’s approach to industry/government consultations.
The Association remains firmly committed to these fundamentals, which define the industry’s relationship with government and its approach to housing issues.
CHBA Member Builder’s statement of Business Values & Commitments
We act with consistency, transparency and respect to do what is honest, ethical and trustworthy in all aspects of our company’s operations.
We strive continually to improve our company’s skills and increase our knowledge and capabilities in order to operate our business to the highest level of professionalism performance.
We recognise that sustaining the social, economic and environmental health of the communities we work in is vital to our business success.
We take a leadership role in improving the social, economic and environmental health of our communities through the way we operate our businesses and through the products and services we provide.
We make the following commitments in order to put our values into action:
Our responsibility to customers
- We provide, in a timely and transparent fashion, information that will assist them in making informed and knowledgeable decisions.
- We accept responsibility to our customers for the products and services they receive from us.
Community Involvement and Investment
- We recognize our business has a wide range of impacts on the well-being of our community. Through our commitment to socially and environmentally responsible business practices, we strive to ensure that these impacts are positive.
- We acknowledge that the development of new communities, and the construction and renovation of homes, has a range of impacts on the environment, both today and in the future. We work with governments and others to develop environmentally responsible housing solutions.
- We are committed to developing communities, and to building and renovating homes, in an environmentally responsible manner through utilizing appropriate technologies, materials, building practices and techniques.
- We pursue continuous improvements and innovation in our processes, practices and products in order to meet our environmental responsibilities.
Business Practices and Performance
- We operate our business in compliance will all applicable laws and regulations and, guided by our values, strive to perform beyond what the law and convention may require.
- We recognize that the building and renovation of homes and the development of communities has a range of impacts on others. By actively engaging in thoughtful and productive relationships within our communities we strive to understand the issues and concerns of others and respond in an open and constructive manner.
- We actively contribute to, and invest in, the well-being of the communities in which we operate our businesses.
- We strive to ensure that all employees, business partners, manufacturers, suppliers, lenders, trade contractors and professionals with whom we do business understand our values and commitments.
- We have criteria for selecting suppliers of good and services which reflect our commitment to social, environmental and human rights principles and values.
Human Resource Development
- We provide employees with the leadership, resources and opportunities to do their best work and achieve their full potential.
- We invest in education and training in order to sustain both our companies and our industry. We choose to do business with trades and suppliers who share this commitment.
- We support our employees in meeting their responsibilities to family, friends and community.
Workplace Health and Safety
- We fulfill our responsibility for a safe working environment for all workers on our projects, whether these workers are directly employed by us, or by other firms working for us.
- We maintain clear and effective health and safety program and ensure that all those employed on our worksites are properly trained and supervised in relation to this program.
- We act to achieve worker safety through, and beyond, compliance with applicable laws and regulations.